What I learned about Operations Manager 2016 and OMS by (not) attending Ignite
Marnix already beat me to the “What’s new in Operations Manager 2016” answer so for those please go to his blog post at: http://thoughtsonopsmgr.blogspot.com/2016/10/whats-new-in-scom-2016.html
On the OMS side of things, here’s the big announcements that I found out about via Twitter or sessions which were available from live stream:
- OMS integration with Azure: https://scomanswers.com/2016/09/24/new-oms-health-state-threshold-in-view-designer/
- Monitoring for VMware: https://twitter.com/healthcareITGuy/status/780402723174879232, https://twitter.com/MrTaoYang/status/778895819424477184
- Azure Monitoring (now in preview): https://twitter.com/vesanopanen/status/780401742550863873, https://twitter.com/StevybSC/status/779270592742686720
- Update management: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/updates/microsoft-operations-management-suite-releases-update-management/
- Application Dependency Monitoring (now in preview): https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/operations-management-suite-application-dependency-monitor-configure/ including DA integration with SCOM! (https://twitter.com/kgreeneit/status/781852383131336705). To get a chance to try out the preview see this survey.
- New tiles and colors for solutions: https://twitter.com/cfullerMVP/status/779290042539794433
- New pricing for OMS: https://t.co/fHmFg6Okuj
- OMS workspaces now require an Azure subscription: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/msoms/2016/09/27/microsoft-oms-workspaces-now-require-an-azure-subscription/
- OMS gateway with SCOM support: (now in preview): https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53891
- HTTP API is available: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/stefan_stranger/2016/09/05/using-the-http-oms-data-collector-api-for-real-world-scenarios-part-1/ (We knew about this already but there were additional use cases shown at Ignite)
- App Insights connector for OMS: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/omssolutionforappinsightspublicpreview/
- OMS Health State threshold: https://scomanswers.com/2016/09/24/new-oms-health-state-threshold-in-view-designer/
For a list of OMS sessions see Adin’s blog post at: http://adinermie.com/operations-management-suite-oms-sessions-microsoft-ignite-2016-video-links/ (thank you to Marnix for pointing this out!). Also check out Daniele’s writeup which includes a solid section on OMS licensing: https://nocentdocent.wordpress.com/2016/09/30/azure-notable-updates-w16-37/.